Friday, July 15, 2011

vCenter Server Appliance (V5)

This appliance is new to me.  I heard there was an instance of vcenter appliance rather than server dating back as far as 2.5.  I have never seen it until this version 5 though.  It's built on SUSE linux 11 SP1 "for VMware".  First thing I want to note is root did work as a login for the web interface (https://yourapplianceIP:5480) with a password of vmware.  I couldn't find it documented anywhere for this beta copy.. so it was just a lucky guess.  Once I logged onto the webinterface once I was able to logon to the consol with the same root/vmware.
I chose to use "embedded" as the database option.  I had stood up a sql2008 instance for this, but oddly that selection was missing from the drop down menu.  Only embedded and oracle.  I wonder what the embedded DB really is.. MySQL?  I heard a rumor that vmware was working on their own DB.. could this be it already?  the "db2" folder under /opt would eluded to a db2 instance.. but I find that rather odd.  it says version 9.7.2 if you're curious.  I asked more about this and hear it will move to postgres at sometime in the future, but for now it is in fact db2 and only oracle being the other alternative.
On the upside, they embedded the vi client back into the home page instead of linking out to the vmware site.  I understood vmware's thinking to have it on thier home site to ensure a more current version is proliferated, but for isolated environments (like my lab) it sure is convenient to have at least some version of the client readily available.. thanks vmware for the new vCenter Appliance!

1 comment:

SteveAnderson said...

Our first step away from Windows!, looking forward to the day of no more SQL, no more Windows licensing.. etc, etc...