Saturday, July 2, 2011

ESXi5

In my previous post I talked about the upgrade of vcenter to vsphere 5 (this is beta code, so if you're reading this and the release is out.. well go find an updated blog post too!..lol).  The upgrade for my ESXi hosts was done from VUM.  I uploaded the iso for the installable ESXi5 to VUM and "pushed" the upgrade to the hosts.  Not much to report other than screens looked a little different.. I had to increase the ram on each host from 2 gig's to 2.5 gig's for the upgrade to proceed.  Also, it complained of "3rd part" packages that weren't going to be compatible.  These hosts were actually VM's that I didn't fo much with.  There were 2 different sub rev's of 4.1, but both upgraded fine.  So I mounted up some NFS storage off a 2008R2 (in my lab.. it was also the domain controller) server.  Now I thought I'd roll out a new VM.  I noticed there is more options for choosing your network setting during creation as well as a grayed out option for "Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed","Thick Provision Eager Zeroed", and "Thin Provision".  I'm assuming mine was grayed out because this is NFS storage.  Still it's good to see the "Zeroing out" has bubbled up to the GUI.  Although it was grayed out.. it did have the radio button for "thin" selected for my nfs VM.  Good thing since I don't have a lot of space to play with.
Sure enough, I created a new vm on local storage and all the options were available for thick/thin.  So, let's talk about this "Zeroing out" of VM's.  What does it mean?  What is the difference between a lazy zero and a eager one?..lol oh the words techies use..
Rather than repeat techie jargon.. have a look at this thread on the vmware community if you want more background on zero's:
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/263289
This is where my lab has become so slow.. I don't want to go on living.  Ok, that's a bit much.. but again.. you get the idea.  Come on money bags company o'mine.. give us at least some shared time on some horse power hardware!

No comments: